30 Stories in 30 Days
September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month. For the next 4 weeks, we will post stories written by cancer survivors, caregivers and friends for our 30 Stories in 30 Days campaign. We hope their perspectives and insight will help others along their journey.
As a teenager with thyroid cancer, I wanted to make sure that treatment did not take away from my “normal” every-day life. When I was introduced to the low iodine diet, it seemed like it would limit my ability to enjoy food with my friends and be around others who were eating foods that I couldn’t have. So, I decided to swap out ingredients and make iodine-free recipes that allowed me to have the meals I loved while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I hope that this guide will help teenagers throughout their low iodine diet or inspire them to adjust their favorite recipes to be iodine free!
Download Zoe’s Low-Iodine Recipe Guide. See below for one of her recipes.
Low Iodine Pancakes
- 1 Cup
- Oat Flour (Blend oats into a flour)
- Egg Whites
- 2 Tbsp
- Liquid Coconut Oil
- 3 Tsp
- Baking Powder
- 1 Sprinkle
- Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp
- Coconut Sugar
- (Add until desired pancake batter consistency is reached)
- Unsalted Peanut Butter
- 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Use about 1/4 cup of mix per pancake and heat on medium heat until both sides are lightly browned.
- Top with unsalted peanut butter and/or 100% Pure Maple Syrup. (Optional)