The Gerald Gutierrez Memorial Scholarship in Head & Neck Surgery
A one-month expense-paid observership with Dr. Mark L. Urken & Dr. Daniel Buchbinder and our multidisciplinary team at Mount Sinai Beth Israel for physicians from Spanish-speaking countries.
- 2 to 3 days per week spent in the operating room.
- approximately 10 hours per week in clinic.
- 1 day per week of research (optional).
How to Apply
Candidates must submit:
- Letter of Interest.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation.
Candidates must have:
- MD (or equivalent degree).
- Residency in Otolaryngology or Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Interest in head and neck oncologic and reconstructive surgery.
- Valid passport with at least 6 months remaining after conclusion of observership.
- Ability to obtain a visa, if necessary.
When the late tony-award-winning Broadway director, Gerald Gutierrez was diagnosed with head and neck cancer he focused his energy on raising funds in support of THANC so that doctors from Spanish-speaking countries could be mentored by his doctor: Mark Urken, MD. Gerry wanted to ensure that the latest surgical techniques would be made available to surgeons around the world. This scholarship will keep Gerry’s dream alive and expand the reach of the THANC Foundation.
Travel & Accommodations
- Coach airfare reimbursed up to $1500
- Housing stipend up to $1500
- A $30 per diem food allowance
- One Month local transportation allowance equal to the cost of a MetroCard.
For questions about the observership program and more information on how to apply, please contact Joelle Bickford, email@example.com
Mount Sinai Downtown
10 Union Square East, Conference Room 5K-04, New York, NY, 10003
12:00 PM–6:00 PM
The Glen Club
2901 West Lake Avenue, Glenview, IL
10:30AM – 6:00PM
Old Oaks Country Club
3100 Purchase Street, Purchase, NY